Skip to main content

Seven Books

I was challenged by a friend to come up with seven books that I would be happy carting around in a backpack in case the government was after me and keeping tabs on my library card or something. It's good to be prepared, after all. Now, please know that while doing this exercise herself, this friend COMPLETELY cheated and included the entire works of Shakespeare, a trilogy, a quartet and other books (holy cow). My friend actually reads a lot, whereas I read sort of a regular amount. Anyway, I digress because I am stalling. Let me go peruse my shelves (no religious works allowed in the seven).

1. The Life of Pi because I've been wanting to read it again and I haven't yet. I rarely read a book more than once but I loved his take on religion in the beginning and I love survival books. Plus, if the government is after me, it would be nice to think, "well, at least I'm not stranded on a tiny boat in the middle of an ocean with a tiger."

2. Marcus Aurelius' Meditations because I started reading them once and I liked them and I want to finish them.

3. Machiavelli's The Prince to balance out the Meditations. If I go all soft, those government guys will get me for sure.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--if I couldn't read that I would DIE. I'd let the government capture me for sure just to have all the loose ends tied up for Potter and the gang.

5. In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson because I'd need something amusing after the first four books. Plus, if I can get to Australia to escape that government conspiracy, I'm going to need a guide.

6. Okay, okay. I'm finding it awfully hard not to include a trilogy here. (I take back all the "cheating" harrasment I've given my friend.) Okay, I know, I would bring The Essential Calvin & Hobbes (no explanation needed).

7. Oh my gosh. Okay, I can't choose a seventh because that just shuts the door on all the other possiblities (had the same problem choosing a major in college). I think I would reserve a spot in my backpack for books I pick up at bookcrossing locations. BookCrossing is where people read books, register them at BookCrossing.com and then leave them somewhere else for others to find and read. No library card necessary. Hah. Take that evil government agents that are after me!

Yes, I know. I am such a cheat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...