Skip to main content

Big Mistake

I just called an electrician and I can't decide if this is a great idea or a big mistake.

For about three months I've been disassembling a light fixture in my kitchen. Not just any light fixture--a sort recessed fisheye spotlight thing. Why? Because I got the coolest lights at (you guessed it) IKEA and I wanted to see if I could put them up.

The little IKEA picture shows three wires coming out of my ceiling and when I finally got all the light bulbs, springs, screws and large metal parts out of the way, I found that I only have two wires. This is a problem I don't know how to overcome.

I was actually going to experiment but then was wondering if I should turn the electricity off before cutting various wires and it all started sounding very permanent and dangerous and I figured it was time to pull out the little coupon I got for an electrician the other day.

I called and this guy answered with a very reassuring voice, he sounded so much like a game show host that I thought he was an answering machine. When I figured out he was a person, he immediately told me about how all their electricians are drug tested and background checked. What the heck? I wasn't even worried before and now I'm like--never mind, I think I'd rather shock myself. I figure if I need reassurance that someone is wholesome then maybe I ought to be calling someone else. But I (gulp) made an appointment anyway. I have an outlet outside that needs to be fixed, too, and I don't even have a faulty IKEA diagram to help me with it.

So it's going to cost me a pile of money to be scared out of my wits all Monday morning but at least at the end I might have some cool lights up. Or I might be dead.

Comments

If you end up dead, I promise to turn over this info. to the detectives!

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...