Skip to main content

 2023 Roundup of Me and My People

(AKA The Christmas Letter that got sent to 6 people because they are my children or also sent me a card)

My computer is fighting with me. Or maybe it's fighting with the internet. At any rate, no pictures this year but rest assured we are all still very cute.

ASHA is happily living and working in San Francisco. In 2023, she received a promotion at GAP Corporation and is now a Buyer for the Old Navy Boys' Department over graphic tees. She's responsible for that wildly popular Old Navy FNAF tee-shirt you may or may not have seen around town. (Ask some kids about FNAF). She is also submitting her first horror novel (it's excellent) to agents and is planning on getting a motorcycle to make crossing the Golden Gate a bit easier next year. She has two adorable bunnies, Pooka and Binks. 

CAMERON is in Utah County, having graduated in 2023 receiving a BS in Computer Science with an Animation emphasis and a Minor in Business. He loves his job as CTO of a VR gaming company and still very much enjoys performing at Evermore when the weather is warmer. There is a fabulous picture of him sword fighting...I may have to repost it on Instagram. He often makes it out to parkour and partake in other dangerous past times. He is contemplating getting a cat in 2024. I love this. 

ALYSSA married in 2023 and is enjoying newlywed life in Provo having moved away from Arizona where it's fantastically too hot for sane people. She is attending UVU in Art and Business and works at a new, award wining gluten free bakery. Her cake decorating skills are on point and her baking skills are always delicious. Like, for reals. She also creates beautiful paintings and drawings and cares deeply for her bunny Jaimie who is the only bunny I've ever known who lunges and growls. She taught the others. 

DANIEL married into the family in 2023 and is a marvelous human being. Not only does he take exceptional care of Alyssa, but he works as a Youth Tennis Coach, is a Janitor for BYU, and is an excellent cook of cheesecake, steaks of all kinds, and now Honey Walnut Shrimp which we will be sampling over the holidays. He is always ready to assemble our furniture or do yard work when he visits, and even cooks for us. We are so happy to have him and his gorgeous bunny Jupiter in our lives. 

ASHTON (they/them) is a Junior at Williams Field High School in Gilbert, Arizona. They had an excellent transition to a new school after wildly dramatic struggles and a mass exodus from the old one. One person got fired. But I digress. Ashton enjoyed leading roles all year including Thenardier (Master of the House) in Les Miserables, Fagin (the elderly boss of child pickpockets) in Oliver, and Moonface Martin in Anything Goes. People occasionally ask if Ashton was shipped in from Broadway for productions because they're just that fun to watch. They also began driving a yellow Volkswagen Beetle and claim the cat Cyrus is theirs but still have their diva bunny Peppermint as well. 

CHLOE is a Freshman at American Leadership Academy. When she isn't working on her straight-A grades, she's acting in school productions including Julius Caesar, Much Ado About Nothing, and (my favorite) Puffs--a Harry Potter Satire--where she played both a knock-off Dumbledore and the best discount house elf I've personally ever seen. Bippy 4-ever! She also creates impressive arts and crafts, maintains an extensive cadre of friends, and often worries about the possibility of getting a B. She also cares for her brilliant bunny Mitzi (who learned to growl from Jaimie).

GINGER is working as a Pediatric Occupational Therapist where she visits disabled children in their homes to help them and their families do all the things they want to do. She also waters her houseplants, attempts to stay cool in the Arizona heat (it's not going well), and takes care of the many, many pets when the kids are busy with other things--this is all when she's not attending weddings, graduations, visiting kids, or taking in stray animals and teenagers in need of a home for awhile. And now, YAY, the Christmas letter is complete.

Happy 2024 everyone! :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...