Skip to main content

Tips from Ms. MacGyver So I Can Be Prepared for...?

The power went out over here the other night. Big deal, right? But I swear Husband woke up the second it happened, like at 1:00 in the morning. Most people wake up to loud noises. How do you wake up from a power outage, I ask you.

Anyway, we looked up the street and there wasn't any power anywhere. Now a normal person would just roll over in bed and enjoy the silence. I am, well, not normal and especially not when I've been woken up at 1:00 am. After ordering my husband to do things I can barely remember ("Do we have to unplug the refrigerator?", "Should we gather in one room to conserve body heat?") I laid in bed obsessing over the fact that we had no heat source. It was 1 degree outside, after all. Could we light a bunch of candles and gather around them? Why did we never get that fireplace put in?

The power came on a couple of hours later. I was relieved that my fears of mass destruction due to alien invasion were most likely untrue. Or at least the aliens were agreed on letting our heater work. That had to be a good sign. But what if the power hadn't come on?

So like any panic stricken mother on too little sleep I hung out in the parking lot of Emergency Essentials the next morning until they opened. I tried to act casual like I shopped there all the time until I finally said, "Hey. Uh, by the way, do you have any heaters?" That question of course led to another until I was hanging out by the solar powered generators.

As the salesman told me about these $3000 dollar wonders of the modern age, a lady no one seemed to know began to offer her opinions. Something like, "Well when I was in charge of relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy, those generators worked fabulously. We attach the solar panels all over the truck as we drive and by the time we get there we can run New York City." Like I said, it was just sort of something like that. My mom accuses me of listening a little too well to strangers on the street. So do the police in Ogden, Utah. And my mission president in Poland.

So before I knew it, I was listening to this woman's tips on everything from how to shade your desert tent with an emergency blanket (it takes TWO reflective blankets, not just one. TWO!) to which floors to stay on in a hotel. I am embarrassed to say I whipped out my phone and actually took notes.

The whole time in my sleep deprived state I was wondering three things. (1) Just why am I here anyway? (2) Is there some imminent catastrophe I have to be preparing for to justify this woman telling me every survival tactic I might ever need? And (3), am I the one with needs here, or is this woman the one with needs?

Anyway, after a good night's sleep I didn't feel frenzied enough to follow through with any of my emergency preparedness efforts and so perhaps I need to pass these ideas along to you. You never know. And then I won't feel so silly about the note thing.

  • Get the N95 masks. No other masks will do. N95s or death. Take them everywhere.
  • You need a DuPont white jumpsuit. Can't remember exactly what for but you stick it in a bucket of...
  • Boot wash for chicken farms that you get at a farm supply store. You also keep this at your front door. No one comes into your house with shoes. And all shoes are washed with the chicken farm cleaner. 
  • The very first thing you EVER do for preparedness is write a note to your kids who go to school and stick it in their backpack. Assure them you will come for them as soon as you can. And pack foods they need in a suction bag thing...seal and save? I don't know. Apparently everyone has these but me. 
  • Antibacterial gel in the car. Whenever you get in the car from wherever you've been, gel yourself up! And your kids. And gel them when they get home from school.
  • For the love of all things bright and beautiful, do not EVER use those hand dryers in a public restroom.
  • The first day you get a cold, drink a gallon of hot lemonade (one part lemon juice, one part water) and sweeten with splenda. Ms. MacGyver hasn't been sick for eleven years, except now. Because she was on a trip and didn't have her lemonade.
  • Never travel on an airplane without Ibuprofen. If you or your child gets a fever, in most countries you will be quarantined--and not with your child. 
  • Always take gaffers' tape to a hotel. This is to tape up the door in case of a fire. You could use wet towels too.
  • Never stay above the 12th floor in a hotel. Firetruck ladders can only reach to the 12th floor. 
  • And just so you know, if the fire alarms do go off in your hotel, there really is a fire. No matter what the hotel tells you.
There was a lot more than this. A lot more. (You should hear about Rotavirus and RSV in China.) Needless to say, I was a little overwhelmed.

Soooooo, I left without a heater because I had to take my kid to the orthodontist in a rush, but I have the lady's phone number because she wants to show me how she grows 600 pounds of vegetables a year in her backyard. And I'm still wondering if she really is the head of, well, every impressive health organization known to man. I don't dare call her. But I'm sure I'll wish I had when I am in a situation where I remember what the heck I needed the jumpsuit for.

Next time, I'm planning on just rolling over in bed.


Comments

Trish Esden said…
I'd be laughing if I hadn't pretty much done the same thing about a week ago. Well, the worrying about no power at 1am part.

The generator has been something I've dreamed of ever since the furnace people replaced our old wonderful wood/oil combo furnace with a straight oil one. If I had insisted they make my replacement furnace a combo, it would have cost me about 3,000 more bucks. Now, that 3,000 dollar solar generator is call to me big time!
:) My husband has actually become obsessed with building his own solar power generator. There is a solar panel on his bed right now because I insisted on taking back the kitchen to cook breakfast. It will only be a few hundred dollars...if you're into that sort of thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...