Skip to main content

Valentine's Box Drama

I have been dreading Valentine's season for several weeks now. Besides the fact that my kids' school classes are always just a few students' more than the number of valentines in the average box, Princess and Crash are obsessed with making the most complicated Valentine's Day boxes on the planet.

This year I was prepared with relatively simple ideas I found online. See?

But Crash approached me sooner than I expected.

Crash: MOM! I have the best idea for a Valentine's Day box!

Me: Uhhhh (frantically reaching for my computer to show him the picture).

Crash: Well, I actually have two ideas. Maybe I can make them both. One is super easy.

Me: Really? (He knows what I want to hear.)

Crash: Yeah the first one has like a spring release to shoot the valentines into my box.

Me: Oh yeah? Great. What's the easy one?

Crash: That IS the easy one! The hard one is cooler though. You get a blow dryer and...hey, do we have any clear pipe?

At this point I showed him the little monster box. He gave me a courtesy laugh.

Comments

Lexi said…
Well-if Crash doesn't want a monster valentine box, I would LOVE one!
Cathy said…
Just wait. It gets better. They go from Valentines Boxes to Jr. High Science Projects. This year was a doozy. We had to eat a lot of pie and we have a lot more quail in our back yard. Bird Feeder Frenzy, turned into "Mom feeds the birds" when the kids took off on the weekend. Just whose project was this? You are probably wondering just who's Valentines box it is too.
Hannah said…
Whoa. That boy has the makings of an inventor.

Love that monster box!

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...