A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You. Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back...
Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately.
Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right?
This is how it looked at our house.
Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away.
Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.)
Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance.
Princess: Okaaaaaaay...?
Try number two:
Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash.
Crash: I didn't take out the trash.
Me: Well thank you for doing it now.
Crash: Are you telling me to take out the trash?
Me: No, I'm thanking you for when you'll do it.
Princess: I think she must be reading one of those Psychology books again.
Crash: Oh yeah. (Conversation dissolves in laughter.)
Try number three:
Princess: Hey Mom, thanks for buying us pizza for dinner tonight.
Crash: Yeah! And you are awesome for letting us stay up 'til midnight.
Me: Nice try.
I think this is why I'm having a hard time reading the rest of the book. But there's a bit of an epilogue to our story at home.
Princess: Oh my gosh! Mom! I went to Orchestra today and the teacher was like, "Thank you for not plucking while I talk," and "Thank you for throwing your gum away." And then everyone quit plucking and threw their gum away. IT WAS SO WEIRD!!
She was shocked anyone would do something just because they were thanked for it in advance.
Apparently I need to look for the second volume in the series which must be named, What? Your Children Are Even Smarter Than Us? Good Luck, Lady. Gooooood Luck.
But I just can't seem to find it on Amazon.
Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately.
Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right?
This is how it looked at our house.
Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away.
Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.)
Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance.
Princess: Okaaaaaaay...?
Try number two:
Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash.
Crash: I didn't take out the trash.
Me: Well thank you for doing it now.
Crash: Are you telling me to take out the trash?
Me: No, I'm thanking you for when you'll do it.
Princess: I think she must be reading one of those Psychology books again.
Crash: Oh yeah. (Conversation dissolves in laughter.)
Try number three:
Princess: Hey Mom, thanks for buying us pizza for dinner tonight.
Crash: Yeah! And you are awesome for letting us stay up 'til midnight.
Me: Nice try.
I think this is why I'm having a hard time reading the rest of the book. But there's a bit of an epilogue to our story at home.
Princess: Oh my gosh! Mom! I went to Orchestra today and the teacher was like, "Thank you for not plucking while I talk," and "Thank you for throwing your gum away." And then everyone quit plucking and threw their gum away. IT WAS SO WEIRD!!
She was shocked anyone would do something just because they were thanked for it in advance.
Apparently I need to look for the second volume in the series which must be named, What? Your Children Are Even Smarter Than Us? Good Luck, Lady. Gooooood Luck.
But I just can't seem to find it on Amazon.
Comments
And thanks, Lex and Cathy. My family always gives me fabulous writing material. Unfortunately, they get touchy about which things I put out there in public--you should see the secret files!
PS Nice post! ;)