Skip to main content

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite.

We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all.

Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides.

I was really nice as I told him my "special needs" boy would appreciate knowing when the music might be turned off. (Okay, so I don't have a typical special needs child but, most of us in the family do have the special need of not listening to music blaring in the woods for twenty-four hours straight. And if push came to shove, which it nearly did, I know there's a teacher or two that would give me a special needs voucher for this kid). But despite my playing that particular card, Larry told me to go back where I came from, yada, yada, yada.

The kids wanted to set up the opera CD we keep around for when they're bad in the car, but I'd seen Larry's sound system. We didn't stand a chance.

I told them we were going to be like Jesus and turn the other cheek. It ended up working in the end, but if we'd have had the equipment for it, I'm ashamed to say opera would likely have joined the cacophony in the forest. Really. Bad. Opera. (Okay, I don't actually know if it's bad opera or good opera because opera's not my thing, but I kind of like that "Figaro" song, and this, I do not like).

After my chat with Larry, I had to apologize to Joe--really loudly, so he could hear me over the music. Joe mentioned he was a chocolatier when we pulled in and offered my five kids two chocolates. Three of them obviously felt bad. He flirted when I was by myself and stayed away when my husband was around. He checked out my watch at length until I told him the 60 rhinestones around the face weren't actual diamonds. Anyway, Larry said that JOE said that we were nice when we wanted a spot to camp but that he felt bad we hadn't socialized much since. This is just a couple hours after we'd pulled in.

Really? Single guys in the woods want the family of seven to chat with them?

So anyway I apologized to Joe who seemed to be playing both sides of the game. He claimed he was worried Larry had dementia along with a penchant for drama and that he was sorry, but he didn't know when the music would stop.

Liar!

Leo had come over to ask about the music when it started up and told us that both Larry and Joe said they were trying to drive us out of camp with it.

Of course Leo's motives are also questionable...

But now, I have to give the Lord a point. Niceness truly worked. Who would have thought? Or maybe Larry realized he was hurting himself as much as us, and we weren't budging.

Back to Leo. He was camping by himself apart from the rest but showed up in our camp shirtless in the early morning once the boy scouts he'd been hanging with pulled out. It was like Sid the Sloth from Ice Age meets Bob from What About Bob?... only there was considerably less humor.

Leo totally adopted us. He showed up in swim gear when we swam. He got in his truck and watched us all from time to time as we went about our day. When we told him we were going to bed, he went back to his camp, but then brought us a little pudding cup. Husband swears it was to see if we were really going to bed.

When we went into town for pizza he told Husband to call him when we got to the restaurant so he could meet up with us. As we walked down the street to the pizza place, Leo shouted to Husband from a block away. He'd been waiting for us to show. So we ate pizza with Leo and we shopped with Leo and we had malts with Leo. And as we left camp for good, Leo was parked by the roadside waiting to honk and wave to us. He had showed up even before we left to give us an orange for breakfast.

Turns out the only guy I really liked was Ron--the one who said he'd share his fire pit with us. He was homeless, toothless, and told a good tale. He said he worked at age 16 for what he thought was a banker repossessing cars. Turned out to be a chop shop. The judge said he could do 20 years or join the military. So at age 17, Ron became a marine, went to Vietnam and can't remember anything of the 22 days he spent there. He was told that they were in a firefight, ran out of ammo and a US airstrike was called in to just wipe everyone out. He was found alive with six others and spent the next two years in a coma. Okay...isn't this the plot to a movie I'm forgetting the title of? Don't even get me started on his Dachshund/dryer vent/eagle trauma.

Anyway, Homeless Ron had set up a tent to save his camp spot but slept in his van, leaving early every morning to do odd jobs in town. I hope he has his teeth by now. They were supposed to be coming in the mail. To where...I'm not sure.

So, maybe what Clancy meant was not that everyone you meet has something good to teach you. Maybe they all just offer fabulous story ideas...like a ring of four men who lure in and rob, torture, hustle and/or cannibalize family campers. Or the story of why these four men have been camping FOR THREE MONTHS. Or how one woman's possession of a hideous opera CD can save a whole town against the rule of an evil DJ. (Did I mention half of Larry's tongue was swollen and black? It totally added to the conversation we had.)

I have never known the people I've been camping around so well, nor been so afraid, while camping--including the time we were in a tent with just our one year old baby surrounded by howling coyotes and no one else near. But probably then I would have liked Leo to appear with a pudding.




Leo wants Husband to friend him on Facebook. I'm begging Husband to not.

Comments

Lexi said…
LOL! Love it.
My Fam-i-Lee said…
did you go camping on your very first try? did you let the tent do all the work? This was so funny!
Aw thanks, guys!
Suzanne Warr said…
LOL! This was soo cathartic, thank you! We had a similar (though not nearly so bad) experience with our camping trip this summer. Now you've inspired me to write it down somewhere, 'cause if those kind of characters don't belong in a book, they don't belong anywhere!
Jeddie said…
That was really creepy...I don't think I could have stayed even the first night...Ramada here we come.
Raw LDS Mom said…
OMGosh...
Oh yes. The best characters are completely stolen from real life.
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...