Skip to main content

Whispers

So, I think it's very possible that I'm losing some of my hearing.

This first occurred to me several years ago at the Disneyland equivalent of a book club where a woman I didn't know was trying to talk to me while 50 other women I didn't know chatted in a crowd around the divine artichoke dip. Not being able to even yell loud enough to convey the thought, Hey! I can't hear you!! I dutifully smiled and nodded and before I knew it she had completely held and exited the conversation I had no idea was coming to a close. As she wended her way through mobs of passionate book lovers, I deeply hoped that I hadn't smiled and nodded at something terribly embarrassing to us both.

My family has caught onto this and there have been a lot of whispers around here which sometimes I DO hear, and sometimes I've been told about. Here are my favorite three from just the last week.

Whisper 1

Sleestack: Waaaa-haaa-haaaa (this was not the whispered part).

Monkey: That's fake crying. Stop it.

Sleestack: It is not! Waaaaa-haaaa-haaaa.

Monkey: It is too, go ask Dad.

Sleestack: Fine, I will. (Goes upstairs).

Sleestack: Dad, is this fake crying? Waaaa-haaa-haaa.

Husband: Yeah. It is.

Sleestack: (Whispers) Well don't tell Monkey, okay?

Whisper 2

Husband: You know, when you wanted to cut your hair, I was a little nervous. I mean, I knew it would look good but wow! You look amazing. I really love it. You look gorgeous. You look younger. It's like I got another wife.

Husband: (Whispers) Um, I didn't really put that very well, did I.

Whisper 3

Me: Sleestack! Please pick up your cat from off the bench. (A stuffed animal).

Sleestack: (Watching a TV show). No!

Me: Hurry before I have you pick up your shoes, too.

Sleestack: (Wiggles a bit on the couch but doesn't go anywhere).

Me: Meow! Meeee-ooooow. Meeeee-ooooowwww!!! Meow. Meow. Meow!

Sleestack: (Gets off the couch and whispers). Stupid cat.

So sorry, lady by the artichoke dip. Sleestack would say in my defense that at least I didn't just start meowing at you. Who knows the things going on that no one ever tells me about and frankly, I kind of enjoy the silence. But it's fun on occasion to hear the whispers, too. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...