Skip to main content

Butterfly Down

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a trauma log (sort of like a travel log but fewer coconuts). I guess sometimes life's just like that.

Butterfly broke her leg! She was out riding her bike which she was just saying was her absolute favorite thing in the world to do. "Even better than friends," which I think was an exaggeration but tells you how much she loves it. She attempted to turn around in our garage and the bike slipped out from under her.

She has a long twisty break in her shin but it didn't actually move the bone anywhere. So she didn't need to have it set--just splinted. She crawls around and gets carried a lot and pushed in her stroller all during school (bless her teacher).

Flying Monkey is quite jealous. They've been seeing which of them can get the most attention by hollering in the middle of the night. So far, they're pretty evenly tied.

But I digress...I'm working on very little sleep here.

I was in so much shock at the doctor's office that he wasn't going to cast Butterfly's leg that I forgot to ask how long he thought it would take to heal. Plus, he was too busy lecturing me on how crutches were too hard for a little girl to use and how I should let her do what her body was telling her it could--like crawling, hopping, even putting pressure on her leg and hobbling.

"Do you hear that?" I asked her. "How do you figure you're going to get around?"

She looked at the doctor and said, "My body is telling me I need a wheelchair."

He thought it was very amusing but declined to write us a wheelchair prescription so now, on top of not having crutches or a wheelchair or a cast, we have shredded bandages because she's crawling everywhere. I have no idea where you buy heavy-duty, cool velcro bandages.

I'm thinking the doctor has never had to deal with this in his own family. Ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...