Skip to main content

Tripping In California

I don't think I remembered to tell many people that, "I'm off to California." So, uh, here I am back again, before you even noticed!

I figured it wouldn't really matter unless there was an earthquake or something and none of you knew to come search the rubble for us, but there wasn't the slightest tremor so all's well that ends well, right? You can't argue with Shakespeare.

To make up for not knowing about California beforehand, at least you can know about it in depth afterhand. Here are some of my memorable moments.

1. Discovering when the temp went up to 86 in Arizona that our air conditioning was out. The kids were good sports and luckily the sun set soon after that.

2. Crash waking us up every ten minutes to make sure we hadn't "jumped out the window" or anything. Tempting...but there were bars on the window, so we couldn't get away.

3. Husband's sister giving me every bit of food in her juice shop that is on my special diet. Delicious and so nice of her. I love how good this diet makes me feel, but I hate the amount of specialness it requires.

4. Running into neighbors on our SECOND day of Disneyland. We all nearly fell on each other out of exhaustion in the Princess Shoppe. Lucky for me, two days is our limit. Some of my neighbors were there for five. I would have cried all over the teacups if that were me.

5. A parade at Disney's California where all the parade people (Pixar characters) came up and played with Bryson. He was in what-the-heck-is-this-all-about heaven.

6. Dropping off the family and heading to San Diego with girlfriends for extra days of REAL vacation.

7. Laying on the beach, and laying and laying and watching other people lay on the beach and watching surfers and laying there some more.

8. Seeing a black fin rise in the ocean and watching all the surfers freak out and scatter.

9. Seeing 5 black fins and porpoise-y backs all rise together and blow water at the surfers. Maybe they were porpoises, maybe they were dolphins (I am not up on my fin identification) but whatever they were they hung around swimming up and down the beach for a long time. The surfers all got back in and enjoyed a close-up view.

10. I am forbidden to write the safety rules we girls had in our hotel (you can read them here sometime) but I will tell you that I was very amused my vacation mates moved the TV armoir to block the windows and the ottoman to block the door and kept their room keys hidden from view at all times :). My lack of fear was probably why I wasn't allowed a room key.

11. The electricity went out in our hotel room as two of us blew our hair dry at the same time and the hotel blamed it on my friend's big blow dryer. (I hid mine behind my back).

So there you go. My trip to California--no earthquakes and lots of beach sand. I can't wait to go back. Except, seriously, I have had the irritating song "California Girls" stuck in my head for DAYS.

Comments

Bridget said…
How fun! I can't imagine Disneyland for five days! Two days sounds much more reasonable.

Glad you could get that "real vacation" after the family one.
We missed you, Bridget! I'm sure Carrie would have loved you to get her a date with a cute surfer. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...