"You work on being a magician," Crash told his friend. "I'll work on floating."
Crash is doing a magic trick tonight for his Boy Scout Pack.
His friend's mother tried to back out yesterday because the trick "didn't look very good," so I told her that I didn't care if it looked professional or not, so long as the boys had fun.
It's really hard for me to teach my kids that unfortunately many things in life are ALL ABOUT THE PRESENTATION--probably because I don't really think things should be all about the presentation.
But with all our faults, if my kids wants to do a levitation trick (or make a catapult, or create a better gum ball machine) they are confident that they can pull it off. Sure it might be held together with duct tape and some cat hair will be poking out here and there--but it works and they did it. That's what's important to them and to me.
There's plenty of time to learn presentation, right?
But if there's no actual substance, what's the point? To fool everyone? To win things you don't deserve? I don't get it.
Anyway, friend's Mom finally felt better about letting her son be involved when I explained the trick was now in the hands of Capable Husband (she adores Husband) who had already built the legs (yes, there are prosthetics involved) and who had the night to perfect things.
"If anyone can make it work, Husband and Crash can," I told her, stifling an eye roll.
So, wish Crash luck as he levitates tonight and especially wish his friend luck (apparently, under Husband's tutelage, there's a whole script involved).
And if you ever need to float, ask Crash--he'll know how.
Epilogue: Went off without a hitch. Not one. And Friend congratulated Husband (eyeroll) and had the wherewithal to apologize to me for nearly pulling her son out of yet another agreement with my son.
I still think they could have shared that goldfish, no problem. And part of me really wanted to see them carrying it around the neighborhood for the weekly exchange.
Comments