Skip to main content

Today It All Comes Crashing Down

Yeah, so just this morning I was blissfully admiring my amazingly bright children while organizing their cupboards, wiping off their counters, cooking their dinner, falling in the Wal-mart parking lot buying presents for their friends (Wal-mart and I have a hate-hate relationship--unfortunately we're stuck together).

But it was all worth it! Because they (my children) were Turning Out. They were blooming. They were nearly BRAG WORTHY. And I really hate bragging. I even wrote that last braggy blog in all my "their blooming" bliss.

And I didn't even mention how Butterfly has won the best behavior award in her class for two months running. How she got the coveted WOW award at school and is still floating around on cloud 9 about it. How she's better at being social than Oprah Winfrey (once she got over that meowing thing).

Nor did I mention an email I got from Crash's teacher yesterday (you know, the "Can we please stick a shocking dog collar on him so he'll behave in 4th grade?" kid.) Here is a quote from the email--nevermind, I'll paraphrase. I don't want any of my emails quoted in a blog. It said something like:

Dear Mrs. Churchill,

Crash is the most amazing kid I ever met. My eyes have been opened. I adore him. He is the next Einstein. You are a wonderful parent. He is perfect. I will never want to shock him again. Out of all the fabulous students in the world that I have ever taught or ever will teach, Crash is the absolute best. I can call my life meaningful now that I've known him.

Something like that...

And Monkey is even so cute. SO cute. He hasn't head butted me in like two weeks!

But, TODAY was totally different. Today (besides sliding down that mountain of ice in the parking lot, and slicing my finger open on an aluminum can, and running last minute carpools, and hurting so much I didn't walk to the other side of the store for my much desired orange juice, or make my lunch, or finish my laundry or even move enough to take my vitamins)

TODAY

Princess came home with a progress report (one of the few she's managed to bring to me) and she's got mainly zero's but only like 3 F's. How she's managing a D is really beyond me.

TODAY

Teacher A told Teacher B that in Teacher C's class Crash was rolling around under his desk gluing pencils to various things when he was supposed to be doing math. He calls this pencil surgury.

TODAY

Butterfly was using her social skills to manipulate her way out of homework, bed time and chores.

TODAY

Monkey got hold of a golfball in the van. I'm not even going to go into the trauma of that.

But they will bloom. Oh yes, they will.

Because, so help me, TOMORROW it's shocking dog collars for everyone.

Comments

Katie said…
I have been laughing so hard! It always seems to go that way, just when you think you have made some progress,they turn back into kids again :)
No...uh...kidding.
Anonymous said…
Whew!! Your kids are normal....or maybe my kids aren't the only ones who are little....

well, little "somethings".

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...