Skip to main content

When Moms Spy

Today, after I volunteered in one my kids' classes, I decided to say a quick hello to my other two children at the school. This was in part because I love them and in part because they are having fantasies that they are terribly abused and are telling the home teachers about this in my presence in order to embarrass me (I think). I am trying to make them feel guilty about this stunt by all my niceness.

Because really, if you're not a child abuser and you say you're not--who's going to believe you? I could KILL them!! (Hah, just kidding!!!!)

Anyway, by the time I got to the last kid it was getting late--I almost didn't go but finally raced over and peeked in the window of his classroom. They were in the middle of math. At least twenty pairs of eyes were glued to the teacher, but Crash's eyes were glued everywhere else.

He was front and center, squirming on his desk, around his desk, nearly under his desk and perhaps had just crawled out of his desk. I wondered if I should go in there to chew him out but (1) that would not get me nice/guilt points and (2) I decided it was his teacher's deal and it would be interesting to see what she did.

After about 2-3 minutes of this behavior the teacher was looking around for answers to a question. No one was coming up with what she wanted despite the fact they were all staring at everything she'd written on the overhead.

Crash sat up after half a minute of this, looked at the overhead for a second and raised his hand. She called on him, he gave an answer and she asked how he got it.

He launched into a lengthy explanation which I thought for sure sounded something like, "Well, I counted the screws underneath the table, divided by the number of pencils in my desk and added all the foot stomping I could do before I got the tingly feeling that said I had the right answer."

But apparently, that's not what he said. Because after he explained, SHE said, "That's right. Did you all understand what he did?" And started writing stuff on her overhead to illustrate. At this point, I snuck away. Laughing. All the way down the hall.

I decided she did the right thing. (1) He wasn't bugging anyone else. They all were oblivious--which, of course means it's his normal behavior. Fabulous. (2) She somehow knew he was listening and possibly computing this all out in his head despite his acrobatics. And (3) she still respected him and his intelligence enough to call on him when he decided to participate more appropriately.

We've come a long way from the shocking dog collar. NOT MY shocking dog collar. It was HER idea and SHE wanted to use it on him (okay, it's a vibrator thing that randomly goes off so he can record if he's behaving at the time or not). Still, I wouldn't let her do it unless she tried less "look at me I'm a freak" ways first...where are THOSE stories when the home teachers come around?

If my kids ever tell you I stuck a shocking dog collar on Crash in 4th grade, you'll know they're still victimizing me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh wow! I would love to spy on my kids in class...just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. But I gotta say, Crash is a smart kid! I could never distract myself that much and still pay attention (or is it the other way around?)

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...