Skip to main content

Games From the Backseat

One of my current joys in life is carpooling for one and a half hours every school day. This is due to Princess getting out of middle school, then Crash and Butterfly getting out of elementary school, then Princess needing to be to swimming. Monkey and Sleestack have miraculously learned to deal with it gracefully (this is where angels sing the Hallelujah chorus).

We also pick up two other kids after elementary school--let's call them Adorable I and Adorable II. They are THE BEST sports. Especially when Crash is in charge of the backseat games. Or someone hit and runs me and I chase them down. Or when someone has a messy diaper. I'm thinking if their mom reads this, their carpooling days may be over. Anyway, they all like to play a variety of games in the backseat, including mind games created on the spot by Crash.

Crash: Okay, pig is to bacon as cow is to what? One, two... (Adorable I has three seconds to answer.)

Adorable I: WHAT!?

Crash: Wrong. The answer is hamburger.

Adorable I: Okay. What!?

Crash: Like pigs make bacon and cows make hamburger.

Adorable I: Ooooooh.

Crash: Lizard is to amphibian as horse is to what? One...two...

Adorable I: Amphibian.

Crash: Wrong. Mammal.

Me: What? A lizard isn't an amphibian!

Crash: Oh yeah. Okay Adorable I, I'll give you that one. Your score is now, "Moron."

Me: Crash! You can't give someone a 'Moron' score--

Crash (ignoring me): Ready? Cloud is to water as rock is to what? One...two...

Adorable I: Dirt.

Crash: Bzzzt! Wrong. Lava...it's about liquid components.

Adorable I: Oh yeah.

Crash: Your score is still "Moron."

Ginger: CRASH!!

Crash: He wants to play, that's just the score.

I tune out at this point because Monkey and Princess are talking to me and Adorable I is actually getting some of Crash's cryptic questions right and seems to be taking it all in good humor. I owe the Adorables a truck or something when they get older.

For me the highlight was when Crash said: Bob is to small yellow stinging insect as Pop is to what? One...two...three!

The answer (which no one got) is: a little green ball you eat.

How does that work you might ask. Apparently, Bob starts with 'B' which sounds the same as "Bee" which is a small yellow stinging insect. Pop starts with 'P' and I suppose you can put the rest together.

To his credit, Adorable I ended up with a score of Advanced Novice. Personally, I think he's a genius because choosing to play this game is MUCH better than playing the Latin Roots game wherein Crash says things like "Auto Bio Arche's" and you have to figure out what he's saying in English.

(In case you're interested, Crash says, "Auto Bio Arche's" means "My life rules.")


Left to right: Crash, Adorable II, Adorable I (Princess has informed me with much giggling that--to her--Adorable I is the most adorable person on the planet.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Hormones Leaking From My Eyes

I am having hormones. For those of you who may not know, this is because I'm pregnant. At least, I assume that's why I'm having hormones. Oddly enough I haven't cried about being pregnant even though this is what, the millionth child? And I'm planning on getting a closet ready for her arrival in May because, unfortunately, I only have 250,000 bedrooms and all those kids are already sharing with someone. So anyway-- Things that did bring a tear to my eye recently: 1. The song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". You know, the one where the Devil had a fiddling match over Johnny's soul and Johnny wins? So, so touching. 2. Crash being sooooo excited about his Darth Maul makeup. Ah. I'm so proud. (As a side note, we told him Siths are extremely obedient--it's working like a charm. I have to say I love to hear, "Yes, my Master," when I ask him to do things). 3. Obama's little slideshow before his nomination acceptance speech. I ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...