Skip to main content

How Not to Make Festive Fudge

Okay, we all know that it's been alleged that I can't cook. I refuse to believe it and my family plays along because they'd rather not starve (Crash is right now reading over my shoulder and vehemently protesting my lack of skills). Anyway, Husband usually makes fudge for the neighborhood for Christmas but I found this "much easier" recipe in a magazine I accidentally lifted from the Instacare (but that's another blog). It's called Festive Fudge.


I thought Husband (by the way, Crash is also vehemently protesting "Husband's" blog nickname. He would like to change it to The Baldinator). Anyway, I thought HUSBAND was going to take this article and do the fudge. He apparently thought I was taking over the fudge making. Consequently it was a fudge madhouse around here the weekend before Christmas.

Mistake number one is probably stealing the magazine in the first place. Don't do that. Heaven will not be on your side. No matter how many times you tell the angels you are going to take it back they know you will spill lemongrass essential oil on it, your baby will rip the cover and then you will lose it. (I am now being given the 3rd degree by Crash as to how I stole a magazine. One moment.)

He is appeased.

Mistake number two is having me actually cook the fudge. The Baldinator knew better.

Mistake number three is realizing we have to make a million portions when we don't have any desire to go to the store to buy more ingredients. I forged ahead without the extra supplies. That's just how I am.

Mistake number four is apparently pouring cold sweetened condensed milk into warm melted chocolate because it instantly coagulates everything. For those of you who don't know, this makes stirring difficult. Not to mention incorporating the salt and vanilla.

It was at this point that I decided I would have to blog about this misadventure to help me to keep feeling some sense of purpose. After thinking outside the box and reheating the bowl for a bit, I finally got the fudge mixed and into a much larger cake pan than the recipe called for, hoping beyond hope it would all somehow make enough portions for the masses.



Hey, don't sneer. Those are sprinkles on top!! Like on the magazine picture (see above).


Somewhere along the line we decided to cut it into teeny tiny pieces which is how I like my fudge anyway. Voila! Enough pieces!! But we didn't have wax paper. And we didn't have enough plastic wrap and cellophane wasn't cutting it. It wouldn't stay wrapped as you can see below.


At this point we needed help from the kids because we got the idea to roll several pieces up in cellophane at a time, tie off each side of the fudge and then cut them apart.




Once a lot of fudge was tied on both ends and cut apart , Princess and Butterfly curled ribbon and I started making tags with monkey. Since the rolling and cutting and curling process for the fudge took so long, we made the tags as complicated as possible too by stamping, adding embossing powder and letting Monkey work the heat gun.

He did a fabulous job. So in the end it turned into A WHOLE LOT OF EFFORT, itty bitty piece of fudge.


I do like how princess stacked everything though. It was almost a shame to deliver it. Pretty sure we won't do it this way next year but, around here, you never know.



Comments

Meg said…
I like "The Baldinator."
And the fudge was very good, and very festive.
Trish Esden said…
LOL. You made me smile and reminded me I forgot to make fudge this year. Probably was a good thing. Mine would not have been half as good looking as yours :)

(my unwriterly 2010 resolution is to slyly teach my husband to cook )
Ooooo, good goal Pat! I totally want to hear how you do that. And unfortunately Meg, Husband does not like "The Baldinator." He says it sounds like he should be going around making people bald.
Meg said…
That's really funny.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...