Skip to main content

Sleestack's Talent


We've long known that Sleestack was special--her awe inspiring eyes, perfect smile and cuteness that makes my neighbor say, "Hey, I even have a baby and YOUR baby is the cutest baby I have ever seen."

Her list of talents includes making delightful cooing noises, giggling more than any other 7 month old on the planet, being happy nearly 24/7 and now, eating everything she comes across. Everything.

I've decided this is much more advanced behavior than it seems. Because, you know, first she has to see stuff. Little pink bead stuck between the carpet and the wall? No problem. Small bit of white Styrofoam on white carpet? Check, check. That inch of fishing line on the bottom of the baby swing? She hones in on it with laser sharp precision.

Next, she has to grasp it. You know I have a lot of kids, right? Well none of them were able to pick up carpet fibers at the age of seven months. Sleestack was born for this task apparently. I've been vacuuming twice a day. Do you know how much stuff a vacuum doesn't pick up when you need it to pick up everything?

And finally she has to get the object in her mouth and swallow it before anyone can reach her. Unfortunately for us, she's lightning fast. I remember fishing things out of the other kids' mouths. With Sleestack, it's impossible. If it made it to her lips, it's gone. Then, instead of choking like a normal sleestack, she just starts foaming like she's having a bad cold. I came home once and Husband said she was really sick and he kept wiping her nose. I pulled a wad of autumn leaves out of her mouth.

She passed a twist tie no one even knew she swallowed. A. TWIST. TIE. Complete with pokey wire.

DOES SHE HAVE INTESTINES OF IRON??? DOES SHE EVEN HAVE INTESTINAL TISSUE LEFT???

It is driving me NUTS. I put her out on a picked up area on top of a blanket for extra protection with toys just an hour ago. I was sitting right here by her and suddenly FOAM. Don't as me what she ate. But I felt it in her throat while she coughed, I pounded her back, she let out a bunch of milk but no object and now it's safely in her stomach which I guess is better than in her windpipe but STILL!

I don't even like to buy conventional produce and she's full of plastic, Styrofoam and carpet fibers made of nylon. Grrrrrrrrrr.

The kids are in an uproar that I nicknamed her sleestack. They want "angel." Or "Pretty Princess Make of Perfection." Until she changes her behavior, "Sleestack" just seems all the more perfect.

Comments

Jess said…
I think your Sleestack and my Maddie would be terrific friends.
You know it, Sister. I've given up trying to scavenge the area of everything. Now I just look around and decide what I think can pass through easily and pick up what can't.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...