Skip to main content

Monkey Heals My Heart

On Christmas morning, my grandma likes us to go to her house for breakfast. She makes the Li'l Smokies and we make our own eggs. I'm sure Grandma does more, but I only remember the Li'l Smokies--mainly because I make it a point the rest of the year to never eat anything with the words "Li'l" or "Smokies" in it. That taste stays with you for weeks.

But anyway, there I was making Husband and a kid or two some eggs. Scrambled. With a little bit of milk and garlic salt. Enter someone who shall go nameless that said,

"You're putting milk in your eggs?"

"Um, yes."

I don't know what exact words followed but the general idea was that putting milk in scrambled eggs is pretty much the nightmare of cooking faux pas. I do remember someone else saying, "Sure glad I don't have to eat those eggs."

I won't even get into specifics about the garlic salt. And what were they doing in that 1950's kitchen anyway? It's only twice the size of a typical communist kitchen which means two people in it are going to experience all kinds of personal space issues. But back to the eggs.

I refused from then on to ever make eggs at my grandma's house. More Li'l Smokies for my kids I guess. Oh, and blueberry muffins--I remember now there are blueberry muffins. But my kids and Husband have since gone eggless because I just can't take that kind of stress on Christmas morning in an itty bitty kitchen. Actually, I think Husband might have made them a couple times.

Fast forward ten years to Monkey's little preschool paper. It says, and I quote:

What is the best thing your mommy cooks for you?

Answer: "Eggs. My mom makes the best eggs. I love her eggs. She cracks them in a bowl, but not with any of the egg shell. Then she cooks them in a pan just right! I think my mom is a good egg cooker!"

I cried.

So this year, Monkey may just get eggs made by me. And I will take this little paper in my pocket Christmas morning and show it to anyone who gives me grief.

I am just that petty.

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOVE YOUR BLOG!! ( all caps for emotion mind you!)
Stay gold Ginger!! You are aweome! I am still smiling about the "communist kitchen!!"

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...