Skip to main content

Flashback Friday--25 Random Fun Facts

This is something I posted on Facebook years ago, so it's sort of a flashback of a flashback.

25 things you may not know about me...

1. I have done yoga for 14 years.
2. I have been on top of an elevator (inside the shaft) when it started going up.
3. I cured myself of the worst of my OCD when I was 12.
4. I never even attempted to write fiction until I had 3 kids.
I tripped walking around castle walls like these in Poland. Oops.
5. I have delivered all 5 of my children without a single painkiller. Yeesh.
6. I have had a deep and meaningful conversation with George Lucas. And a couple of goofy and embarrassing ones.
7. My dad the cop escorted one of my ex-boyfriends in his prison uniform to court.
8. I have no full brothers or sisters, seven half brothers and sisters (so far as I know) including two I've never met.
9. I can pick locks with a credit card really well. The last time I did it, I was getting out of an ancient church courtyard I got locked into in Poland. NOT MY FAULT.
10. I like to interpret dreams.
11. I majored in film more than anything else at BYU, except for what I finally graduated in--Psychology.
12. I speak three and a half languages. (English, Polish, Spanish--sort of--and French enough to save my behind in a train station.)
13. I can move my little toes without moving anything else. It's a Dune thing.
14. I was once contacted by an LDS psychic spy for the US military. He wanted me to read his book and review it on Amazon. I've never been more freaked out in my life. I almost covered my head in tinfoil. I gave him a great review so I could quit worrying about him invading my mind.
15. I have mountain biked in Poland, scurried over the border in Czechoslovakia, drunk beet juice in Vienna, taken a boat-bus in Venice, been grouchy in Paris, read Dracula in London, and taken pictures of the cool doorknobs all over Spain.
16. The only sibling I grew up with is autistic.
17. I wanted to be an "Exotic Animal Veterinarian" when I was little. I thought I could give whales shots and stuff.
18. I knocked out a boy's two front teeth in first grade. He said, "It didn't hurt!" My dad congratulated me in the principal's office.
19. I really (really, really) like Spam.
20. I used to put super balls down a mystery hole in the bathroom of one of my elementary schools.
21. I once taught the BYU football team study skills.
22. I have ridden on the top of a gondola going up to Bridal Veil falls. I have also ridden it normally in complete darkness.
23. I really (really, really) love heights.
24. I cried when they froze Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back. I still do sometimes.
25. I was once called into an assistant principal's office because my dad gave him a ticket.

And there you go. I feel more than a little narcissistic, but I find as fun facts about me grow increasingly scarce, the past is important to remember!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...