Skip to main content

Other Stuff I Am Thankful For

I am thankful for my adorable husband, for incredible sacrificing loving friends, for healthy lively imaginitive children. Really, I am! But sometimes realizing how thankful I am for the OTHER stuff, does a lot for my morale.

  1. My MacBook computer. Aaaah. Technology that doesn't make me angry.
  2. The fact I live surrounded by green things, mountains and a river. I spent one too many days on the Navajo Reservation this year. My lips cry out for chapstick just thinking about it. To be fair, the Navajo I stayed with was quite thrilled NOT to be living where I do. So we are even.
  3. Good storytellers! Long live Joss Whedon (Firefly), Mo Willems (Knuffle Bunny), Jan Martel (Life of Pi), Miller and Gough of Spiderman and Smallville fame, Dav Pilkey (Captain Underpants) and of course those awesome friends I write with everyday. Shakespeare's okay, too--but "live long" didn't really apply.
  4. The fact I am truly spoiled and have the time to write my own stories.
  5. Chocolate in all its forms.
  6. Citrus smells in everything from bathroom cleaner to body spray.
  7. Amber--so cool.
  8. Light--candlelight, sunsets, rainbows, campfires. Maybe not those glares from chromey big rigs on the freeway.
  9. My youngest daughter would like to add "bendy straws" to the list. Why? Because they bend. (Of course.)
  10. My oldest would like to add "air." Or was that my second oldest? At any rate, I have to agree.
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Comments

LAURA said…
I second the bendy straws. And air. You changed your template!

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...