"I don't think I'll dress up for Halloween this year," I told my friend. She looked at me trying to figure out if this was a joke or not. Deciding I was serious, she said, "Isn't that a little like Santa not coming for Christmas?" I wanted to deny it, and not just because my 8-month's pregnant figure is a little too close to Santa's shape for my comfort. However, as I surveyed my closet the next day, I realized that I do havee more costumes in there than clothes that actually fit me at the moment.
Halloween came and I still didn't know what to be. Pregnant pirates=not cool. Pregnant Captain Janeway=too disturbing. Pregnant witches=hah! like I could squeeze myself into that little bodice right now. So I just wore an orange t-shirt with an open white button-up shirt on top and at least felt my color scheme matched the season.
The first trick-or-treaters came accompanied by their mothers--women I know from the neighborhood. "Look! Ginger did it, I should have, too!" said one mom to the next.
"Did what?" I asked.
"Dressed up like a pumpkin. My husband said I should (she's pregnant, too) but I didn't dare but you look so cute that way.
Then the details become a little fuzzy but I seem to remember pelting someone with candy while shouting, "I am NOT a pumpkin. GET OFF MY PROPERTY!" Then there was some door slamming, possibly, and suddenly I was standing in front of the aforementioned closet ripping off my t-shirt like I was the Incredible Hulk.
The next trick-or-treaters to arrive were greeted by me in my new outfit: black velvet pants, black t-shirt, red silk shirt, cool long black jacket, cape, and lots of eyeliner and red lipstick. I don't know if many really thought vampires could be pregnant but I did get a few compliments--perhaps word of the candy pelting had made it through the neighborhood.
Pumpkin. Whatever!!
Halloween came and I still didn't know what to be. Pregnant pirates=not cool. Pregnant Captain Janeway=too disturbing. Pregnant witches=hah! like I could squeeze myself into that little bodice right now. So I just wore an orange t-shirt with an open white button-up shirt on top and at least felt my color scheme matched the season.
The first trick-or-treaters came accompanied by their mothers--women I know from the neighborhood. "Look! Ginger did it, I should have, too!" said one mom to the next.
"Did what?" I asked.
"Dressed up like a pumpkin. My husband said I should (she's pregnant, too) but I didn't dare but you look so cute that way.
Then the details become a little fuzzy but I seem to remember pelting someone with candy while shouting, "I am NOT a pumpkin. GET OFF MY PROPERTY!" Then there was some door slamming, possibly, and suddenly I was standing in front of the aforementioned closet ripping off my t-shirt like I was the Incredible Hulk.
The next trick-or-treaters to arrive were greeted by me in my new outfit: black velvet pants, black t-shirt, red silk shirt, cool long black jacket, cape, and lots of eyeliner and red lipstick. I don't know if many really thought vampires could be pregnant but I did get a few compliments--perhaps word of the candy pelting had made it through the neighborhood.
Pumpkin. Whatever!!
Comments