Skip to main content

Most Memorable Scabs

As much as I wish my first book were something fascinating like Life of Pi, or gripping like Twilight, or genius like Ender's Game, it is what it is: Carmen's Sticky Scab. And I have to admit, I quite like it. So, in honor of Carmen, here are is a list of my most memorable scabs.

1. Bitten by a dog that reportedly "never bit anyone." I still have the scar on my right index finger.

2. Falling on my bike for the 642nd time as a child. I had scabs on scabs. I still have scars but they've mostly blended in with the wrinkles.

3. I got mad at the hose and yanked it across the yard (naughty hose was never obeying). The hose came off the faucet and I landed on my elbow. Still have that scar too. Lesson learned: yanking as hard as you can on a hose does not make it longer.

4. A curling iron burn gone bad on my neck. I had that thing for weeks. A scab on my neck! Nasty.

5. Full facial scab from falling when I was about five. My mother gave me falling lessons afterward. They included the sage advice of breaking my fall with my hands. Who knew?

My vast experience with scabs began after I learned to ride my sparkly blue Schwinn without training wheels. Although I have picked way more than my share, I never ate a single one. I considered trying a small piece for research but just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

The grossest thing I ate as a child was an oyster from grandma’s plate. I swear it clawed its way up and out of my throat as I tried to swallow it. I have never made that mistake again. I also learned never to show a scab to grandma. She would scrub it mercilessly and coat it in iodine. I'd much rather someone ate it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...