Skip to main content

Smack: A Picture Book I Can't Sell (Parental Discretion Advised--Violence)

Smack: Based on a True Story

Lauren loved recess. She loved to jump rope. She loved to play tag. She loved to do somersaults.

Cole loved recess, too. He loved to swing. He loved to climb. And he loved to kiss Lauren smack on the mouth.

“Cole won’t stop kissing me,” Lauren told her friend Carrie.

“Just stay away from him,” Lauren said. “I’ll hide you.”

Carrie buried Lauren in wood chips. Cole found her.

Carrie hid Lauren in the twisty slide. Cole found her.

Carrie hid Lauren by a lunchlady. Cole found her and kissed her smack on the mouth.

Lauren didn’t love recess anymore.

“Cole won’t stop kissing me,” Lauren told her teacher.

“Just watch out for him while you’re playing,” her teacher said. “You’ll be fine.”

At recess, Lauren played jump rope. She kept tripping while watching for Cole.

Lauren played tag. She kept getting caught while looking for Cole.

Lauren somersaulted all around the swings. She bumped, smack, right into Cole.

He kissed her.

Lauren hated recess.

“Cole won’t stop kissing me,” Lauren told her parents at home.

“Just stay away from him,” Lauren's mom said.

“Just hit him,” said her dad.

Lauren's mom gave Dad a look. “Just trying to help,” he said.

Lauren's mom patted her on the head. Lauren's dad winked at her.

The next day at recess Lauren hid for a while in the bushes. She got bored.

She ran around by herself where Cole wasn’t. She got dizzy.

She was too worried she’d run into Cole to do a somersault.

The bell rang.

She lined up to go in from recess. “I did it,” she said to Carrie. “ I hid, I played, I watched and I stayed away from Cole.”

Carrie made a face and pointed. Lauren turned around. Cole was behind her.

He kissed her, smack on the mouth.

So Lauren smacked Cole. Right on the mouth.

Cole’s two front teeth popped out.

Lauren's dad met her in the principal’s office.

“Smacking?” asked the principal.

“Kissing?” said Lauren's dad. He winked at Lauren.

Back in class Cole said, “It didn’t hurt.”

But he never kissed Lauren, smack on the mouth, again.

Comments

I loved this the first time I read it, and now again! By the way, I laughed while reading your hopscotch emergency.
Thanks, Becca. I keep waiting for you to post more on your blog--now that's high entertainment. I think of it every time I'm in the produce section.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...