My dad is a policeman. No matter that he's retired--once a policeman, always a policeman. I remember as a girl knowing that he could handle any cop-type emergency. When the very slow train we were riding hit a car (no one was hurt) my dad took charge. When my cousin broke her arm showing off with a pool stick, he splinted it with a magazine and duct tape. When I got called into the principal's office, my dad would come in full uniform to chit chat with him or her. He was always on my side, too. Good old dad.
I grew up thinking I too would be the boss of any emergency that came my way. I am a writer and I'm proud to announce that I've had my first writing emergency. There I was walking into Zuka Juice.
"How do you spell somersault?" I heard a juicemaker plead.
I glanced around. No one seemed to know.
"Uh, somersault is s-o-m-e-r-s-a-u-l-t," I offered.
"Really?" she said. Her eyes wide. "Are you like an english teacher or something?"
"Sort of," I replied, wishing I had a badge . "I teach writing classes online. I'm a writer."
"Oooooooh," she said, writing down somersault. "That's all one word?"
"Sure is."
"Can I quote you on that?"
"Uh, sure." At this point people were staring.
Okay, so it's not as glamorous as fighting crime and didn't require any precision commands, but someone has to help in these situations. So if you need any words spelled, sentences punctuated or grammar checked just let me know.
I grew up thinking I too would be the boss of any emergency that came my way. I am a writer and I'm proud to announce that I've had my first writing emergency. There I was walking into Zuka Juice.
"How do you spell somersault?" I heard a juicemaker plead.
I glanced around. No one seemed to know.
"Uh, somersault is s-o-m-e-r-s-a-u-l-t," I offered.
"Really?" she said. Her eyes wide. "Are you like an english teacher or something?"
"Sort of," I replied, wishing I had a badge . "I teach writing classes online. I'm a writer."
"Oooooooh," she said, writing down somersault. "That's all one word?"
"Sure is."
"Can I quote you on that?"
"Uh, sure." At this point people were staring.
Okay, so it's not as glamorous as fighting crime and didn't require any precision commands, but someone has to help in these situations. So if you need any words spelled, sentences punctuated or grammar checked just let me know.
Comments