Fall is here. The leaves are changing colors, the pumpkins are ready for picking and neighbors are hanging witches on their porches--decorative witches of course, or I might be in big trouble.
In honor of fall, here's a new list:
Ginger's Most Memorable Falls
1. Most recent fall: I was carrying the baby's carseat, diaper bag, scriptures, etc. into church when my shoe came off at the same time I was stepping over a curb. I sacrificed everything for the baby, of course, and books and diapers went flying and I skinned my knee. I just lay there awhile waving at people going into church. "No, no, I'm fine. Really."
2. Waterfalls: I once hiked to a waterfall with my mom and sister. On the way down every baby rattlesnake in existence had come out to sun itself wherever we wanted to step (Indiana Jones pfffff, whatever). My teenage sister refused to go forward or backward or anywhere and my mom had to carry her! Actually, I think we took turns carrying but not long into it I figured if Mom cared so much she could do the rest.
3. Freefalls: Bungee jumping over an apartment complex parking lot from a crane. Coooooool.
4. Near falls: Tripping on a crumbly castle wall about 50 feet up. Luckily, I just landed on more wall.
5. Embarrassing falls: I tripped going up a spiral staircase at a formal dance in college. I, myself, stayed mainly on the stairs but my shoe sailed off over the heads of at least a hundred party goers. I eventually found my shoe by the punchbowl but got lots of dirty looks from the refreshment line when I retrieved it.
6. Baby fall: My baby dove off the doctor's examining table yesterday and I had to throw my cell phone and catch him 12 inches from the floor--which I did but he grabbed my very long beaded necklace and broke it in the process. Cheerios, raisins and beads flew everywhere. It goes to show how long the doctor took that I had everything cleaned up and repaired by the time my baby's ears got checked.
Come to think of it, I can't wait to see my baby's "fall" list in twenty years. The other day he was perfectly placid in the middle of the bed. I got up to blow my nose, watching him carefully. NO MOVEMENT. So I made a quick attempt to go to the bathroom. 4.7 seconds into it there was a crash and a cry.
Yeah, you think he fell?
No.
He was spread eagle over the space between the bed and my window. His toes were on the bed, his hands were on the windowsill and he was crying for help. How in the...? Anyway, I have a feeling that my falls will always be nothing compared to his.
In honor of fall, here's a new list:
Ginger's Most Memorable Falls
1. Most recent fall: I was carrying the baby's carseat, diaper bag, scriptures, etc. into church when my shoe came off at the same time I was stepping over a curb. I sacrificed everything for the baby, of course, and books and diapers went flying and I skinned my knee. I just lay there awhile waving at people going into church. "No, no, I'm fine. Really."
2. Waterfalls: I once hiked to a waterfall with my mom and sister. On the way down every baby rattlesnake in existence had come out to sun itself wherever we wanted to step (Indiana Jones pfffff, whatever). My teenage sister refused to go forward or backward or anywhere and my mom had to carry her! Actually, I think we took turns carrying but not long into it I figured if Mom cared so much she could do the rest.
3. Freefalls: Bungee jumping over an apartment complex parking lot from a crane. Coooooool.
4. Near falls: Tripping on a crumbly castle wall about 50 feet up. Luckily, I just landed on more wall.
5. Embarrassing falls: I tripped going up a spiral staircase at a formal dance in college. I, myself, stayed mainly on the stairs but my shoe sailed off over the heads of at least a hundred party goers. I eventually found my shoe by the punchbowl but got lots of dirty looks from the refreshment line when I retrieved it.
6. Baby fall: My baby dove off the doctor's examining table yesterday and I had to throw my cell phone and catch him 12 inches from the floor--which I did but he grabbed my very long beaded necklace and broke it in the process. Cheerios, raisins and beads flew everywhere. It goes to show how long the doctor took that I had everything cleaned up and repaired by the time my baby's ears got checked.
Come to think of it, I can't wait to see my baby's "fall" list in twenty years. The other day he was perfectly placid in the middle of the bed. I got up to blow my nose, watching him carefully. NO MOVEMENT. So I made a quick attempt to go to the bathroom. 4.7 seconds into it there was a crash and a cry.
Yeah, you think he fell?
No.
He was spread eagle over the space between the bed and my window. His toes were on the bed, his hands were on the windowsill and he was crying for help. How in the...? Anyway, I have a feeling that my falls will always be nothing compared to his.
Comments