Skip to main content

Parade of MY Home

A few weeks ago several women in my church group got together and decided it would be fun to do a mini Parade of Homes through our neighborhood--you know, where people tramp through houses to get ideas for their own ( I think that's what they do anyway, I have never actually attended a Parade of Homes). Did these Christian women decide to parade through their own homes like the selfless and giving daughters of God that they are? NO. They want to parade through mine.

MINE.

Yes, yes, I KNOW I could have said, "no." I really do know this. Thank you for the emails with the practice exercises attached, by the way. Unfortunately, they came too late because here I am cleaning and cleaning and I just can't stop.

I have a problem. I have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). If you are an alcoholic, you do not go to bars, wild parties or the refrigerated section of gas stations. If you are OCD, you do not clean. Unless you REALLY want to clean. But with a possible one hundred women inspecting my baseboards, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!?

I have swiffered my floor twice and am firmly resisting the urge to do it a third time. I have washed the sinks twice, once for the sink part, once for the chrome part. I had to make my own glass cleaner because I couldn't stand to take the time to run next door and see if they had any. I sprayed this cinnamon stuff around and it's making my eyes water because I'm allergic. I have arranged pillows to perfection. But it seems everywhere I look there are smudges--some washable and some not. Some are even on the pillows. If I stare straight ahead at the laptop I can almost convince myself the washable smudges are mostly gone but I can't help thinking the unwashable ones are going to give in one of these times and come off. They might, they really might.

The thing is, my kids aren't home. They are (1) sleeping, (2) playing at a friend's house and (3) still at school. The women don't come over until seven tonight. SEVEN. I honestly do not know how I can handle having my children in the house before these women arrive. I have already scheduled timeouts in their rooms from 4:00 to 4:30. Seriously, I really have. But I cleaned their rooms. I don't even want them in there. Is it okay to put your kids in your car if they're in the garage? But oh my gosh, the trouble my kids could get into in the car. Sigh.

And then there's the lizard. He is still in his cage, I think, but twenty (count them) crickets are not. My son left the lid off of the Cricket Keeper. I am instructed when I come across one to pick it up by the antennae (this was after the mad dash across the house with my hands clasped together while trying to hold my squirmy baby at the same time). So far, I have caught two. Yes, the antennae method was much more pleasant for all concerned. So now there are only eighteen crickets waiting to jump out at random church women as they inspect my bookshelves, ceiling fans and irremoveable smudges.

Oh my GOSH. I forgot to swiffer the bathroom floors upstairs. I'm off. Wish me luck--or wait, according to my Disney films, crickets bring luck. Whew! I'm set. Maybe those eighteen crickets have already swiffered the bathrooms. I'll have to feed the lizard to THEM if they have.

I'd better check!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...