Skip to main content

My Style

It all started on Halloween when, for the second year in a row, I didn't have a costume and wanted one at the last minute. You know those emergency Halloween parties? Well, I went to one.

As I stood there behind the spiderwebbed cupcakes and the green-colored cheese bread, my friend said she liked my vest. "Did you make it?" she asked (having made her Bellatrix costume herself--including the corset and everything).

"Um, no," I answered. "I bought it a long time ago."

At that moment I realized that the huge belt, the white shirt with the awesome cuffs and collar, the slightly big and funky jewelry, the boots and, of course, the vest that I still wear under suit jackets were all items from my own wardrobe. My own wardrobe.

My personal style through the ages has been "Modern Pirate!?"

Luckily, I still have both calves intact and a serious aversion to knickers (my first 6th grade boy/girl dance--don't ask) or I think people would expect me to call my kids "scurvy dogs" and yell things like "blimey" in the grocery store parking lot.

Last night, my mom wanted me to buy my own Christmas presents from her at Nordstrom. I forced myself to bypass the nicely faded, slightly flared, exotically pocketed and slightly ripped jeans (just perfect to go with that pirate vest) in an attempt to mature my style a bit. I'm a grown woman after all, I shouldn't look like I ought to have a parrot on my shoulder. So I got some dark jeans--no cuts or rips--a sweater and this shirt.

Ahhh the shirt: crinkly soft cotton, pin-striped in a reddish and whitish, with a button-up plackard in front, long-long sleeves that force you to roll them up in a funky way to show off the very large, decorated cuffs...

Yes. Pirate shirt. It was the only one I liked!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...