Skip to main content

On Pepper Spraying Myself

This all started the other night when I went for a walk with my friend. I had been looking forward to it all day and by the time we could go the sun had set, the clouds had rolled in and it was dark.

We walked along the river trail anyway where before long the trees were creaking and lashing out at us in the howling wind. I admit, it was a bit spooky. But when my friend said something like, "Heaven's unleashed its fury!" You know what I said? "Bring it on." There was no way she was getting out of that walk with me.

The walk was relatively uneventful. To liven things up, I decided to see if my pepper spray worked. It didn't, which was good to know. It just drizzled down my glove and smelled like aerosol. Are you supposed to shake that stuff first? Do you have time to shake it while attackers are pouncing? Does it just get shaken naturally by your fear?

Anyway, I went walking today again. I wore the same gloves. I rubbed my eye.

As I threw my contact into the river and splashed water into my face I prayed. And voila, after a little bit, my eye felt relatively better. Of course, I had to finish my miles-long walk practically blind in one eye. And everyone looked at me strangely so maybe it was swollen and red or something, or maybe it was just my outfit (red leisure pants and a superman t-shirt among other things).

What I learned is this: pepper spray really does work if you can get it into someone's eyes; and Heaven is always listening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...