Skip to main content

Did you get killed by a drug-free electrician?

This is the question people keep asking me. No, I did not get killed by a drug-free electrician. I didn't even manage to electrocute myself (which was probably much more likely).

The electrician showed up at my door exactly on time. He was 6 foot 8 inches (I asked him for police report purposes) but he had rosy cheeks and I'm not sure he was capable of growing a beard or anything. Plus, when I told him he really didn't have to wear those orange plastic booties, he insisted. It is impossible to look scary wearing bright orange plastic booties over your shoes.

It cost (oh my gosh) $200 to get the lights connected to where I wanted them connected to. It would have cost $200 more to put the lights actually up and it would have cost $200 more (if I remember right) for him to check the outside outlet. You know when they wear those booties, it's going to be expensive. 6'8" guys won't do that for cheap. So, I just had him hook up the light wires and pestered him the ENTIRE time.

Not only did I learn that my struts are solid, not wafer board, and that I'm safe to touch particular wires so long as nobody turns the lights on, but also:

  1. A 6'8" guy can saw through my ceiling without even standing on his tippy toes. So not fair--I had to stand on two step stools stacked on top of a chair.
  2. A proper snowboard comes up to about your chin level.
  3. My house's original electrician was GREAT.
  4. Bad coaches can ruin basketball for a man forever.
Anyway, Weston was well worth the money I paid him. Especially since he sneakily told me what was wrong with my outside outlet for free (I had to push some all powerful surge protection button in my garage).

He didn't want to leave until I got my lights up but I'm not really fast about finding the right sized screws and all that. He let me borrow his ladder as long as he could and then he was off. And four hours later, I found the right screws and my lights are COOL.

And I am not dead.

And I can't wait to learn to snowboard. I also learned I am goofy foot (right foot forward).

So if you ever want an entertaining electrician who is apparently drug free, let me know and I will hook you up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...