Skip to main content

De Do Do Do and All That

After twenty-four years of waiting I have finally seen The Police in concert!

I still wish I could have gone with my dad when I was twelve but for some reason he wasn't too excited about taking me. I sulked in my room all that night while drawing a pencil sketch of Sting.

I was very good at sulking.

Husband and I had a lot of fun watching dancing grannies and being the young people at a concert. Oddly enough, Sting looked like my dad (especially my dad after a week of camping) and I was worried the guitarist (Andy Summers) didn't have his teeth in. Whether he did or didn't, the guy can rock. Stewart Copeland, the drummer, looked like he was having the time of his life. He was amazing.

Random Observations

1. "Doodle-up" is a very weird thing to repeat in the middle of a song a thousand times.

2. If you haven't heard the serious percussion version of Wrapped Around Your Finger, you need to fill that hole in your life.

3. Sting still pronounces Nabokov wrong but he introduced me to Jungian psychology when I was eleven. I figure I came out ahead intellectually in the long run.

4. It's hard to pep up after seeing a slide show of sad kids during the song Invisible Sun (even if they do theoretically get happy again).

5. Husband and I are able to outrun 15,000 old people to our car (me in high-heeled flip flops) to get out ahead of the traffic.

I couldn't believe I could stand there on a hill for hours without falling over, let alone sprint.

6. Best song of the night: A toss up between that Wrapped Around Your Finger experience and the Voices/When the World is Running Down combination.

Will I take my kids to concerts when they're twelve? I can't wait!

(See, still good at sulking).

Comments

Ha,ha! Glad you had fun. And your picture is lovely!
Laughing! Don't make fun of my picture. It's one of the very few to choose from. I actually took like 15 of myself the other day, we'll see if I ever go through them and put one on here.

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...