Skip to main content

The Lizard Owes Me

Like any good mother, I told my son he would have to work and scrimp and save all his money until he had enough for his long-tailed lizard. He was totally willing although he did keep asking me if there was anything I wanted him to do for ten dollars. I referred him to the usual chore chart and with a minimum of grumbling he earned quarters here and there. He washed dishes, vacuumed, cleaned counters--it was fabulous. It was working out perfectly. First, I was getting lots of work done, or he was getting it done, rather. Second, I figured his desire for a long-tailed lizard wouldn't hold out clear till whenever he earned seventy dollars.

Then his dad offered to pay for half the lizard and supplies, saying my son would only have to earn forty dollars. I was a bit miffed, but still, I thought, that will take a good three months.

Then Grandma sent my son a birthday check for thirty dollars.

The long-tailed lizard is in my son's room this very minute. At least it better be--I haven't seen it the last couple days. Plus, there are freeze-dried worms in my fridge with a can of crickets preserved "in their own juices." Those, I always see whenever I open the fridge.

My son and his father put the baby turtle out on the dresser to freeze saying it would die anyway. Whatever. Like I'm going to allow a slow turtle death! Honestly, if you don't teach your children how to care for slow boring things in their youth, what are they going to do with you when you turn eighty? The turtle is now in with the invisible lizard staying warm and wet.

All I know about the lizard, besides what he eats, is that he owes me a lot of housework.

Maybe that's why he's hiding from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for Commenting on This Post

A caring friend bought me a book a while ago called something like How to Cope, Now That You Have Children Smarter Than You . Okay, that's not really the title but that's what the title really means. At least, I think it does. I'll ask one of my kids and report back... Anyway. I'm embarrassed that I haven't made it all the way through yet but I did start taking the book's suggestions immediately. Suggestion #1: "Thank your children in advance for good behavior." The reasoning goes that it shows your good faith in them and inspires them to follow through with what you asked. Easy, right? This is how it looked at our house. Me: Thank you, Princess, for putting your shoes away. Princess: Uh, I haven't taken my shoes off yet, Mom. (Looks at me like I've dropped a few IQ points.) Me: Yes well, I'm thanking you in advance. Princess: Okaaaaaaay...? Try number two: Me: Thanks, Crash for taking out the trash. Crash: I didn't ...

Mom, What Should I Do?

Like all Moms I hate the phrase, "Mom! What should I do?" I usually claim I can think of lots of things and start giving them work around the house until they magically come up with something to do on their own. Trouble is, they're so well trained now, most of the housework I actually want them to do (those things besides painting the bathrooms or pruning the roses) is actually done. So I got out a list Butterfly's online school sent me for the summer. "40 Things To Do The Next Time You Are Bored!" I told Crash--surprisingly the most bored of my children--that when he asked me for something to do I'd make him pick a number and he'd have to do whatever the list said. He quickly chose #27. "Order a pizza." I accused him of cheating and hid the list but to prove I wasn't kidding, I ordered him a pizza. Paybacks were today when he chose #4. "Bead some bracelets and sell them for charity." The bracelets turned into toe rings ...

Ron, Joe, Larry and Leo: A Crash Course in People

Tom Clancy once said, "Every person you meet is another opportunity to learn." He said it like it was a good thing, but after my latest camping experience I've just had a crash course in people--and it wasn't my favorite. We pulled into camp to find a boyscout troop taking up one of the areas and three single guys taking up all the rest. My dad quickly made friends with RON who said we could share his fire pit. JOE said we were good to pull in as well. Unfortunately, we didn't check with LARRY as he wasn't even in our immediate vicinity. Had I known about LEO, we may never have pulled in at all. Before we'd been there long, Larry (the guy we didn't check with) had turned up his eclectic oldies-country-jazz-big band music as loud as he could without blowing a speaker, then waited for me to go fight with him about it. Honestly, some of it wasn't bad, but I swear he was trying to find all his B-sides. I was really nice as I told him my "s...